- Rendering is Recycling: Rendering is the cooking and drying of meat and/or other animal by-products not used for human consumption in order to recover fats and proteins.
- The US rendering industry accounts for $10 billion in annual economic activity across the country, including rural America.
- The Surprise Contributions of Rendering: People use rendered products every day in soaps, paints, varnishes, lubricants, caulking compounds, candles, cleaners, paints, polishes, rubber products, plastics, fertilizers, and even explosives. Many people just do not realize it.
- Rendering is “The Original Recycling”: For hundreds of years renderers have been recycling unwanted meat into animal food and fertilizer used to feed and grow the next generation of food.
- Good for Animal Health:Rendering produces valuable fats and proteins that improve nutrition in foods used by consumers and farmers to feed their pets as well as livestock, poultry, and fish.
- Humans don’t like them, animals NEED them: The unwanted leftovers, like organ meats, used to produce rendered end products contain valuable fats and proteins filled with vitamins and minerals that animals crave and need to maintain their health and nutrition.
- Recycling from Restaurants: Renderers collect the nation’s used restaurant cooking oils to clean and recycle them into ingredients for animal feed, and to be used in biodiesel and renewable diesel for cars, trucks, airplanes, and other equipment.
- From Fries to Fuel: Renderers recycle 4.4 billion pounds of used cooking oil from food items like French Fries, into ingredients for animal feed, biodiesel and renewable diesel. (pull this out as a quote on the page)
- Rendering is Green and Sustainable: All U.S. landfills would be full in four years without rendering, posing a serious public health threat. Upcycling of animal by-products sequesters at least five times as many greenhouse gas emissions as it emits. Rendering yields far fewer emissions than landfilling or composting. Rendered products help animal agriculture and other customers reduce their environmental footprints and become more sustainable.
- Clean and Safe: High cooking temperatures used in rendering ensure animal food and consumer protections against bacteria, viruses, and other safety hazards. Meeting customer needs for quality and safety is a high priority.
- Consumers have Confidence: Renderers comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. They conduct hazard analyses, control food safety hazards, and use good manufacturing practices in their Rendering Code of Practice stewardship program. This Code of Practice fully complies with the Food and Drug Administration’s animal food safety rules under the Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Volume In, Quality Out: Rendering is a high-volume, high-tech industry. US renderers collect 56 billion pounds of raw materials a year and recycle them by cooking and drying into 22 billion pounds of animal fats/oils and proteins each year.
- Skilled Workforce: Rendering plants have extensively trained workers who use high-tech controls to operate ultra-hot temperature cookers, centrifuges, and presses. Renderers have a high labor retention rate.
A fast and easy way to learn about our industry
Click the thumbnails to download the PDFs